Urban Bow Hunting
2020 - 2021 season is September 12, 2020 - January 10, 2021.
The Urban Deer Bow Hunting Program is a cooperative effort between the City of Marshalltown and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). The purpose of the program is for deer management within the City limits. The IDNR controls the number of deer hunting licenses issued for hunting within the City limits. (Additional licenses for the identified perimeter areas outside City limits are also available, but not regulated by urban hunting regulations.) The urban bow hunting license is for hunting during an annually specified season and for antlerless deer only.
Urban Bow Hunter Permit
The City will issue the permit necessary to obtain the urban deer hunting license. The permits are available with a $10 fee at the Parks and Recreation Department, 10 West State between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The IDNR special urban license may be purchased at The General Store, 116 E Church Street.
To receive the urban bow hunting permit, hunters must meet all the requirements established by the IDNR for bow hunting, and City regulations, when more restrictive than the State regulations.
The City requirements that must be met, and documentation provided, for an Urban Bow Hunting Permit to be issued:
- Proof of successful completion of a ten-hour Bow Hunter Education Course.
- Proof of successful completion of an annual archery proficiency test.
- Must be 18 years of age, or older, the day of the hunt.
(If a Bow Hunter Safety Education card or certificate is lost, a temporary card may be printed and a plastic card mailed by going to https://www.ilostmycard.com. Cost for this service will be $10.)
Archery Proficiency Test
- Hunters must pass an authorized proficiency test each year with the weapon they will use to hunt within Marshalltown.
- The proficiency test must be administered by a certified International Bowhunter Education Foundation (IBEF/NBEF) instructor.
- Hunters must show evidence that they have passed a one time Bow Hunter Education Safety course overseen by the DNR, taught by a certified NBEF Instructor. The Iowa DNR website has information about this program online.
Special Bow Hunting Rules and more
Incentive Program toward an Iowa DNR Special Issue Buck Tag
All incentive any deer licenses will be issued through the Electronic Licensing System of Iowa (ELSI), for the following year’s hunt. ELSI issued any deer incentive licenses will be considered legal licenses from the opening date to the closing date in that respective deer management zone hunt.
Minimum requirements to qualify for an incentive any deer license include
1. A minimum harvest of three does (adults, yearlings, or fawns), Any antlerless male deer (button bucks, spike bucks, and shed bucks) are legal quarry, which will NOT count toward an incentive license.
2. All deer harvests must be visually verified at the Marshalltown Fire Station, or the Park & Rec office.
3. All deer harvests must be registration with the Iowa DNR.
Female deer not both visually verified through the check station and reported to IDNR will not be considered eligible to count towards qualifying for any deer incentive licenses.