Urban Bow Hunting
2019 - 2020 season is September 14, 2019 - January 10, 2020.
The Urban Deer Bow Hunting Program is a cooperative effort between the City of Marshalltown and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). The purpose of the program is for deer management within the City limits. The IDNR controls the number of deer hunting licenses issued for hunting within the City limits. (Additional licenses for the identified perimeter areas outside of the City limits will also be available, but are not regulated by these urban hunting regulations.) The urban bow hunting license will be for hunting during an annually specified season and will be for antlerless deer only.
Urban Bow Hunter Permit
The City will issue the permit necessary to obtain the urban deer hunting license. The permits are available at the Parks and Recreation Department, 10 West State between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The cost of the permit is $10. The IDNR special urban license may be purchased at The General Store.
To receive the urban bow hunting permit, hunters must meet all the requirements established by the IDNR for bow hunting, and the City regulations when more restrictive than the State regulations.
The City has set the following requirements that must be met in order to receive an Urban Bow Hunting Permit:
- Provide proof of successful completion of a ten-hour bow hunter safety education program.
- Provide proof of successful completion of an annual archery proficiency test.
- Be 18 years of age or older the day of the hunt.
The Proficiency Test
- Hunters must pass an authorized proficiency test each year with the weapon they will use to hunt within Marshalltown.
- The proficiency test must be administered by a certified International Bowhunter Education Foundation (IBEF/NBEF) instructor.
- Hunters must show evidence that they have passed a one time Bow Hunter safety course overseen by the DNR. (These are taught by a certified NBEF Instructor). The Iowa DNR website has information about this program online.
Special Bow Hunting Rules and more
Incentive Program toward an Iowa DNR Special Issue Buck Tag
All incentive any deer licenses will be issued through the Electronic Licensing System of Iowa (ELSI), which will require that any deer licenses be available for the following year’s hunt. ELSI issued any deer incentive licenses will be considered legal licenses from the opening date to the closing date of the respective deer management zone hunt.
Minimum requirements to qualify for an incentive any deer license include
1. a minimum harvest of three does (adults, yearlings, or fawns), Any antlerless male deer (button bucks, spike bucks, and shed bucks) are legal quarry, which will not count toward an incentive license.
2. all deer harvests are verified at the Marshalltown Fire Station (908 S 2nd Street), and
3. all deer harvests must be registration with the Iowa DNR.
Female deer which aren’t both checked through the check station and reported to IDNR will not be considered eligible to count towards qualifying for any deer incentive licenses.