Recruitment & Employment
State of the Art Facilities
The Marshalltown Police and Fire building was newly constructed and opened in August 2019. The joint facility features a training room, report writing stations, command offices, fitness center, day room, full kitchen, outdoor patio, bunk rooms, laundry, and steam shower facilities.
The fire department is comprised of 27 commissioned personnel and one civilian Administrative Assistant. The organization's administrative structure consists of
- Fire Chief, who is in charge of the department.
- Deputy Chief, who is in charge of operations and training.
- Fire Marshal, who is in charge of investigations, public education, inspections, and code enforcement.
- Three Captains serve as shift commanders, one on each shift.
- Three Lieutenants serve as second in command, one on each shift.
- Eighteen Firefighters / Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT).
Fire crews are divided into three shifts of eight personnel who work 24 hours on / 48 hours off schedule beginning daily at 7:00 am. The department has a daily staffing minimum of six shift personnel on duty.
The fire department has a training facility located on the campus of Marshalltown Community College. All sworn personnel are certified in National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command, and Firefighter II, Haz-Mat Operations, and EMT or higher.
Union Contract and Pay Scale
Visit our Job Opportunities page for Position Announcements and Applications. To receive notifications by text or email for job opportunities please sign up through our website Notify Me. The City of Marshalltown is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
- Firefighter Job Description
- Lieutenant Job Description
- Captain Job Description
The Fire Department is covered under Iowa Civil Service law. We generally will test for new hires approximately every two years, unless a hiring list has been exhausted. The Civil Service Commission will certify a ranked list of candidates from which we hire. The process includes completing an application with a $15 fee, a written test, a physical agility test, and oral interviews.