- Housing & Community Development
- Building Division
The Building Division is under the Department of Housing and Community Development. The City of Marshalltown requires building permits, demolition permits and trade permits (electrical, mechanical and plumbing) for items including, but not limited to; alterations, additions to residential and commercial buildings and new construction for all uses..
BUILDING PROGRAM INFORMATION
The City contracts with Veenstra & Kimm, Inc. (V&K) to assist with building and trade inspections services. To reach their inspection staff please call 515-850-2980.
All permits should be submitted directly to the City in person, by mail or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building Permit Process - Information Sheet - English
- Building Permit Process - Information Sheet - Spanish - COMING SOON
Building Permit Application Form
- Required Inspection Checklists: Commercial - Residential
Trade Permit Application Form - (Electrical, Plumbing & Mechanical)
The City uses the the ICC Building Valuation Data (BVD) table to establish fees. The BVD is updated twice a year. Additional categories are identified for residential construction components. Depending on your project various fees may be applicable from other divisions. Please do not submit payment until the City has notified you of the total fee for your building project. Trade permits associated with residential projects do have flat fees and may be paid at time of application.
- Current BVD Table and fee calculation table.
- Plan Review Fees are 65% of permit fees.
- Trade permits (Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical)
- New residential construction $125
- Residential alterations $85
- Appliance replacement $62
- Commercial based on valuation - $50 for first $1,000 and $5 for each additional $1,000 in valuation.
Currently Adopted Codes
The City is currently operating under the following codes. Updates are planned to occur this year so please check in with our office if you have questions.
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (State of Iowa Adopted)
- 2020 National Electric Code National Fire Protection Act 70
Monthly building reports: click here
Dangerous & Dilapidated Building Program
For additional information please contact the Housing & Community Development Director.
APPEAL REQUEST FORM - The following form may be used when requesting an appeal to various City codes. (i.e. Dangerous Building Notice)
Information for Commercial Developers from Alliant Energy
Are you planning a new building for your business? Or a major renovation? Alliant Energy’s Commercial New Construction program can help with free energy analysis and financial incentives for upgrades such as LED lights, high efficiency HVAC, or increased insulation. Timing is key, you should enroll in the program early - once you’ve hired an architect or your mechanical/electrical engineer. Learn more from the program flyer. Get started with an application.