MAYOR & City Council
- 5:30 p.m.
- The 2nd and 4th Monday of each month
- Carnegie Building
10 W State Street
2nd Floor - City Council Chambers
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Both the Mayor and council members are elected by registered voters within the city for four year terms on a rotating basis. Four council members represent wards. Three council members serve at large. Click here for Mayor and Council contact list.
One of the biggest roles of the Mayor and City Council is to provide a vision for the future of the City. To do this, the City's elected officials and management staff meeting annually for a strategic planning session to review the City's goals and objectives and to formulate actions to help achieve those goals and objectives in the coming years.
The 2019-2020 Strategic Plan was adopted in February 2019. The activities and policies of the City of Marshalltown are directed at achieving the following goals:
- Goal 1: Expand and improve development in the community
- Goal 2: Enhance Marshalltown's public image
- Goal 3: Continually improve and sustain the City's organization and services
- Goal 4: Partner with citizens, for-profit, non-profit and other groups to improve quality of life
- Does the Council have a rules or policy manual?
- Who is my council representative?
- How do I run for an elected City office? What resources are available?
- Where do I obtain a copy of the City Council agenda or meeting minutes?
- Where can I find videos of the council meetings?
- Who maintains the meeting schedule?
The City of Marshalltown collaborates to provide a welcoming, safe, vibrant, and growing community.
To achieve this mission, we place importance on the following values:
- Inclusiveness - working as one to deliver exceptional outcomes
- Innovation - willingness to take risks, looking to the future while respecting the past, progressing forward
- Stewardship - respecting the human, financial, and natural resources of the community
- Trust - establishing respectful relationships, being a caring community
- Excellence - striving for a common standard in everything we do